Saturday 16 October 2010

Productivity at its best...

Here I am, back again, and I have to say, this whole blogging thing is growing on me.

So University has officially started now; it started two weeks back, but I am officially in work mode now, and coursework has begun, meaning I can officially say goodbye to any vast amounts of free time I may have had. This term I have three main things to focus on: my final year project, my group project and my project for the module which required me to write this blog. For my final year project, I am going to be developing a 3D platformer using the Nintendo Wiimote as the controller, and that is all going to be done in C++ and I'm going to be using the Ogre 3D engine. The group project I am working on is a 2D RTS game developed in Microsoft's XNA Game Studio, meaning that one is going to be done using C#. And finally, the project for the module that had me write this blog is in two parts: part one is this blog, so that is already under way, and part two is my online portfolio/website, and that I will start probably next week. So it's all go, but that's what I'm here for, so I've just gotta knuckle down now.

This morning has been quite productive actually, I decided to set time frames in which to do things, which seemed to help motivate me more, and I actually got it all done (I procrastinate a lot you see, so it seems from now on I'm going to have to put time frames on everything!). I woke up early this morning so I could watch Smallville before I started my work, then once that had finished I got onto programming for the group project. I managed to create an RTS-style selection box that allows the player to select units that are on screen, then I put in some custom sprites because circles to represent units are just boring; so now the player can drag a box over the two units on screen, and click where they want them to move, and they will move. Considering we aren't having our first team meeting till Monday, I think that is enough to get us started; at least until I do all the other things on my 'to do list'. Then once that was finished I spent the next hour working on my draft project proposal for my final year project. So I thought I'd take a break until after lunch, update my blog, then this afternoon I need to get to grips with the Ogre 3D engine.

Hopefully, if I finish my work in good time today, I might actually get time to play some games; I've been really busy the past two days and I haven't had a chance to play anything! My copy of Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm arrived on Thursday, and I have yet to get into the story mode, I still have Castlevania Lords of Shadow on the go, and I am currently playing Final Fantasy XIV (although
TwoSixNine and I have been discussing FFXIV and we both agreed that given how busy we are at Uni. right now, we might have to quit it for now), not to mention I have Fable III coming in 2 weeks!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Also, on another note, the Guild Wars 2 Hall of Monuments calculator went up last week, so I was able to officially see what my efforts in Guild Wars 1 had earned me in Guild Wars 2. I currently have 7/50 points; not that impressive I know, but I took a long break from Guild Wars and only recently came back to it two months ago, so I had a lot of catching up to do! However having said that, those 7 points do still entitle me to a complete set of armour when I start the game.

Photobucket

I'm not aiming to get the full 50 points, nor am I even aiming to get 40, 30 or even 20 points, given that I don't have the time to work on it right now, but I am going to try and push up to 10 points. Having 10/50 will give me the 'Guild Warrior' title, and will also earn me the 'Fiery Dragon Sword' which is pretty cool.


But in order to do that, I still need to complete my Asuran armour set for my Assassin, and get a couple of tokens so I can upgrade my Heroes' armour, but that is something I can do here and there, so fitting that into my busy schedule shouldn't be a problem.

For those of you that haven't yet seen anything of Guild Wars 2 (what have you been doing?!?) then here is their manifesto trailer:


Anyway I think that is enough for now; if I finish my work in good time and get a chance to play Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm later, then I might do another post on my thoughts on the game. In fact, I think I'll do a combined post on the three games I said I am currently playing: Castlevania, Naruto and FFXIV.

But until then, take it easy~

No comments:

Post a Comment